Friday, May 25, 2012

Fuck You WotC

Or rather, I should say FUCK YOU HASBRO.

I had a good day. Those are few and far between, if you know me, you know why. If you don't, I could care less. What made today a good day was I got my D&D Next playtest material. I am overjoyed. I like having a voice.

So if I'm happy about getting the playtest material, why am I giving the big middle finger to Hasbro? Well there's a couple reasons.

1. The download sucked. It was released yesterday, but because of the huge demand, I got 404 errors until this morning. Why the hell is that an issue? You do a massive open playtest, but make it almost impossible to get the material? That's just dumb. You should have realized what would happen.
2. There's no call out on how certain things work. I signed some sort of agreement, but anyone can join (it's an OPEN playtest), so I'm not sure what I can talk about and what I can't. However, I will say that there were numbers that you are supposed to use constantly, but no explanation of how they arrived at those numbers. I tried to give an audit to a character (just like I do to my PCs), and I couldn't figure out how they got to the numbers that they were giving. GRANTED that we do not have access to character creation at this time, but I want to know WHY I'm getting +7 to this roll!
3. The whole thing is actually a big fuck you. It's a big fuck you to those who liked fourth edition. It is pandering to those who liked earlier editions. Which I love. I couldn't fucking stand 4th ed, and couldn't wait for it to end. Fourth was a cash grab by Hasbro. The fact that they had to pull it and replace it just goes to show what people actually want. I'm sorry to those of you who love 4th, its a good game, but it ain't D&D.

So with any initial playtest, there are things that don't work. It's going to happen. I'm going to re-read what I can talk about and what I can't. Then I'll have more to rant about.

No comments:

Post a Comment